Twitter CEO Elon Musk in search of New CEO for Twitter
December 21, 2022
On Tuesday, Elon Musk tweeted that he will resign from the position of Twitter CEO once he finds someone who is suitable for the position of Twitter CEO. This happened after he posted a poll on Sunday asking Twitter users to give their opinion on whether he should step down as the Twitter CEO. In response to this, 57% of users voted in favor of a new CEO for Twitter. Elon Musk would have thought that his fans will vote in his favor but it went the other way. Elon Musk is known for his quick decisions, now let’s see within how much time we will get to see a new Twitter CEO.
Table of Contents
Elon Musk as Twitter CEO
Elon Musk owned Twitter in October 2022 and soon after that, he fired some top shots at the company including Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal. after Parag Agrawal’s exit, he stepped up as the new CEO of Twitter. Within his two-month leadership, Twitter has faced massive layoffs, sudden policy changes, legal actions from Former employees, and last but not least, the amount that advertisers were spending earlier has also gone down since his entry. However, as per reports, it was his plan from the beginning to step down as the Twitter CEO after a few months.
Elon Musk’s decisions regarding the new Twitter policies have always been debatable and most of the time people have criticized him for his harsh decisions. The biggest decision that he made and faced a lot of criticism for charging $8 for Blue Tick verification on Twitter. He was also criticized for the mass layoffs at Twitter. Recently he rolled out a rule stating that all the links to other social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Mastodon will be banned. The reason behind banning external links is to protect users from misleading links as URL shorter is primarily used to deceive users.
Elon Musk has also faced criticism after the Twitter account suspension of big publications like The Washington Post, The New York Times, and CNN. The journey of Elon Musk as the Twitter CEO is full of controversies and criticism as he took no time to take big decisions. It seems like he doesn’t think much about the outcome of his bold decisions and he doesn’t care about what people around the globe will think of him.
Elon Musk’s Poll
On December 19, Twitter CEO Elon Musk posted a Poll asking Twitter users -Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll. He further tweeted Beware, you might get what you ask for. Surprisingly 57.5% of the votes came against him and wanted Musk to step down as Twitter CEO. 42.5% of the users in that poll believe that he should continue as the Twitter CEO. After the result of the poll, Elon Musk tweeted: I will resign as the CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take this job! After that, I will just run the software and server teams.
After his last tweet, it is pretty much clear that Musk will definitely step down as the Twitter CEO and will search for a person who can operate as the new CEO of Twitter. Within his Two months plus tenure as the CEO of Twitter, Musk has surprised people with his bold decisions as it feels like he doesn’t think much about the consequences. Within his short span as the CEO, he has taken some difficult decisions like – Mass Layoffs, Ending Work from Home Culture at Twitter, Blue Tick Verification, Banning accounts of big Publications, the recent one came as a ban on linking to other social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Mastodon, etc.
Over 17.5 million people voted in Elon Musk’s poll, out of which 57.5% of users want Musk to step down as the CEO and the other 42.5% want him to continue. You will get to see a lot of tweets where people are surprised that how Musk reacted to the results of the poll after he tweeted that he will step down as the Twitter CEO when he will get the right candidate to replace him as the New Twitter CEO. A lot of Twitter users are Tweeting that this poll is BOT driven and the poll was Musk’s trick to identify the active BOTS at Twitter. Users further added that Only Verified users should be allowed to vote and Twitter must roll out a rule in this context.
Twitter doesn’t want its competitors to breach into its user base for free. Only Paid promotions will be allowed. Twitter has explained it stating- “We recognize that many of our users are active on other social media platforms. However, we will no longer allow free promotion of certain social media platforms on Twitter.”
Who can be the New Twitter CEO after Elon Musk?
We have a list of expected candidates for the role of new Twitter CEO.
Sheryl Sandberg – Former COO of Meta.
Jack Dorsey – Former CEO and Co-Founder of Twitter.
What is the latest Update from Twitter?
Elon Musk has announced an update regarding the voting criteria for the polls from now on, he said – Now onwards only verified users (Users with Blue Tick) will be allowed to submit their responses in a poll at Twitter.